Mostafa El Khashab, MD, PhD, FACS
Dr. Mostafa El Khashab has been practicing neurosurgery since 1995. After completing a two-year accredited pediatric neurosurgery fellowship in August 2007, he joined Dr. Arno Fried at Advanced Neurosurgery Associates.
He is an attending neurosurgeon in the Department of Neurosurgery at Hackensack University Medical Center, where he also practices as a pediatric neurosurgeon. Dr. El Khashab is a pediatric neurosurgeon in the Department of Neurosurgery at St. Barnabas Medical Center and Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, both in New Jersey. Additionally, Dr. El Khashab serves as an attending neurosurgeon at Saint Peter’s University Medical Center in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
After joining the Pediatric Neuroscience Institute and Comprehensive Epilepsy Center at Hackensack University Medical Center, Dr. El Khashab developed a deeper interest in the management of intractable epilepsy, as well as the surgical management of pediatric brain tumors. To date, his distinguished achievements in academic neurosurgery have led to over 32 scientific publications and book chapters in well respected peer-reviewed journals and books in the field of neurosciences. Dr. El Khashab has also delivered numerous presentations at many national and international neurosurgical meetings.
Dr. El Khashab is certified in Gamma Knife radio surgery, considered the gold standard of stereotactic radio surgery for brain lesions. His interests in neurosurgery include frameless stereotaxy navigation of various neurosurgical procedures. He also has a special interest in endoscopic surgery, epilepsy surgery and neuro-oncology. Congenital brain malformations and tumors, including spina bifida, hydrocephalus, Chiari malformation, tethered cord syndrome and congenital brain tumors constitute just a portion of the conditions on which he focuses. Brain tumors are very much at the core of his practice at Advanced Neurosurgery Associates.
During his surgical internship in Egypt, Dr. El Khashab and two other doctors created a private initiative to provide medical treatment at a general practitioner level for the impoverished population living in shelters. The program was subsequently adopted by the City of Cairo and continues today as an expanded service for people in need.
Dr. El Khashab holds medical licenses in New Jersey, Wisconsin, New York, the U.K. and Egypt.
Main areas of interest:
- Congenital malformations and traumatic injury of the brain and spine
- Epilepsy surgery for intractable seizure disorder
- Surgical treatment of brain tumors and spine tumors
- Completed a two year accredited fellowship in pediatric neurosurgery from University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (07/2005 – 06/2007)
- Graduate School: The University of Bonn, Germany (PhD in Neuroscience)
- Medical School: Cairo University School of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt
- Residency: The Neurosurgical University Hospital, Bonn, Germany
- Internship: Cairo University Hospitals, Cairo, Egypt
Awards and Honors
- Elected to “Best Doctors in America” 2009
- Dr. El Khashab’s department at Hackensack University Medical Center was listed as one of the best in the country in the 2008 U.S News and World Report “Best Hospitals” issue.
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
- International Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery (ISPN)