Mostafa El Khashab, MD, PhD
Attending Pediatric Neurosurgeon
Dr. Mostafa El Khashab has been practicing neurosurgery for eighteen years. In August 2007 and after completing a two year accredited pediatric neurosurgery fellowship, He joined Dr. Arno Fried in Advanced Neurosurgery Associates He is an attending neurosurgeon in the Department of Neurosurgery at Hackensack University Medical Center, where he also practices as a Pediatric Neurosurgeon. In November 2007, Dr. El Khashab also joined the department of neurosurgery at Saint Barnabas Medical Center and Newark Bethe Israel Medical Center in his capacity as a pediatric neurosurgeon. Dr. El Khashab serves also as an attending neurosurgeon at Saint Peters University Medical Center in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Dr. El Khashab is also an assistant Professor at Touro Medical College.
After joining the Pediatric Neuroscience Institute and Comprehensive Epilepsy Center at Hackensack University Medical Center, which includes a team of nationally-recognized neurologists, neurosurgeons, and other health professionals, Dr. El Khashab had developed a much more intensive interest in the management of intractable Epilepsy and also the surgical management of Pediatric brain tumors .. His distinguished achievement in academic neurosurgery has led to over 32 scientific publications and book chapters in the most respected peer-reviewed journals and books in Neurosciences. Dr. El Khashab held many talks and lectures in many national and international neurosurgical meetings.
Dr. El khashab’s interests in neurosurgery include frameless stereotaxy navigation of different neurosurgical procedures. He also has a special interest in endoscopic surgery, epilepsy surgery and Neuro-Oncology.Congential malformations of the brain including Spina Bifida, Hydrocephalus, Chiari malformation; tethered cord syndrome and congenital brain tumors constitute just a part of his interests. Epilepsy surgery and spine surgery are very much at the core of his practice at Advanced Neurosurgery Associates.
During his surgical internship in Egypt, Dr. El Khashab and two other doctors created a private initiative to provide medical treatment at a general practitioner level for impoverished people in living shelters. The program was subsequently adopted by the City of Cairo and continues today as an expanded service for people in need
Dr. El Khashab holds medical licenses in New Jersey, Wisconsin, New York, the U.K. and Egypt.
- Completed a two year accredited fellowship in pediatric neurosurgery from University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (07/2005 - 06/2007)
Main areas of interest:
- Congenital malformations of the brain and spine
- Epilepsy Surgery for intractable seizure disorder
- Surgical Treatment of Brain tumors and spine tumors
- Traumatic Injury of the Brain and Spine
- Graduate School: The University of Bonn – Bonn, Germany (PhD in Neuroscience)
- Residency: The Neurosurgical University Hospital – Bonn, Germany
- Internship: Cairo University Hospitals – Cairo, Egypt
- Medical School: Cairo University School of Medicine – Cairo, Egypt
Awards and Honors
- Elected to "Best Doctors in America" 2009
- His department at Hackensack University Medical Center was listed as one of the best in the country in the 2008 US News and World Report “Best Hospitals” issue
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
- International Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery ( ISPN)